While Tate is busy pioneering our propane system I’ve spent my time finishing the few cosmetic issues in the galley area needed to MAKE WAY FOR THE STOVE. All that remained in the boat to be Bilgekoted was the galley area and a few cabinets in the V-berth and believe me they needed it. This was pretty much the condition of all the cabinets with flaking paint, dirt, grease and smells lingering in the old surface.

BUT now all that remains is the Vberth, it’s amazing what you can accomplish in a weekend and a few lunch hours and before “day work” hours. I have to say though the feeling of accomplishment with this is great and well worth the time to me. Not only did I prepare and paint all the cabinets with epoxy paint I also finally took off the rotted veneer from the galley plywood and primed and painted it a nice Pearly White just like I did in the Salon.

The boat is seriously looking brighter and larger with the wall paint. This is before the sprucing:
Old boat pictures
Old boat pictures

The veneer wasn’t really attached at all any more and came off easily. I sanded this bare plywood with 150 grit then 320 grit for a smooth surface then put 3 coats of Primer and 3 coats of a high gloss Acrylic Latex paint, redoing the tape masking each time with the top paint for those clean lines.
Bare plywood in the salon

And BAM! I just LOVE how this came out <3. One of Tate and I's favorite things to do is cook (also eat) and come the beginning of June when the stove arrives we will be able to do just that. I just sit and fantasize about all the lobster, scallops and fish we'll cook in this area. It is sure to be a favorite place. The galley finished

A little pearly paint goes a long way! Psst…check out the table.
Finished view from the salon

Overshadowed but not forgotten is the inside of the cabinets. I’m no longer worried my items will rock that faded paint flake look. I prepared the cabinets the normal way cleaning with bleach, scraping off flakes, sanding aggressively, wiping with acetone and lots of vacuuming. I did 2 coats of Bilgekote sanding with 320 in between. I thought about doing 3 at least on the bottom but my 2nd coat was pretty thick and I think they’ll be just fine.
Bilgekote paint finished
Bilgekote paint finished
Bilgekote paint finished

We are nestled back quietly in our slip finally and making that final rundown budget of the critical vs non-critical items so instead of redoing the cockpit teak with new caulk lines like I really really want to, I have agreed to finish the inside of the boat and get her ready to move on first. So the V-berth project starts tomorrow.

I’m going to miss this place.