To see what it took to get started go to Part 1.

Well I’m almost done with 6 cabinets in the front of the boat. Only 4 remain to be be painted; 2 in the Head, and 2 in the vberth. I’ve postponed these until after the rigging and plumbing as currently the 2 in the vberth contain the holding tank (which is being removed) and old head plumbing, and the 2 in the head also still have the old head plumbing and 2 seacocks that we are considering removing and glassing over when we haul out the last time before we leave on the trip (1.5 years away maybe?).

I must post pictures of my progress to gaze at them, validating my hard work so I won’t go insane. I didn’t paint these cabinets for them to be shiny and white, but instead to prevent mold from growing in the wood or on the old paint.  Like I said I think it’s probably been 20 years since these were painted.  I’m hoping the less area in the boat mold can grow the less affected we’ll be if we ventilate properly.

I can’t believe I’m finally almost done. Rough numbers for Prep (cleaning, sanding, wipe down, taping, cleanup) and painting 2 coats in each locker (painting, sanding, tape removal):

  • Labor: 25 hours (parts of weekends and after work)
  • Materials: $121 bucks (1.5 quarts of bilgekote, brushes, rollers, sandpaper etc.)
  • Satisfaction: Priceless

Painting Cabinets with Bilgekote
Painting Slats with bilgekote
Painting more slats with bilgekote
vberth cabinets with bilgekote
vberth cabinets with bilekote
Painting cabinets
Painting head cabinets with bilgekote

Look at all that white! The prep work took most of the time. Cleaning, washing, vacuuming and sanding and wiping down. I’m happy to report however that the bilgekote seems to have cured hard, properly adhering. Of all the painting I’ve done in my life I can say that painting these cabinets was the most difficult. I think it has to do with all of the prep work in tiny places (I don’t know how bigger guys paint these things) and the care you must use while painting to not end up with epoxy paint all over the boat.

My jaw ached from clenching each time I completed a painting session.  Such concentration and care.  Laugh out Loud.

I had BIG plans when starting this project. I was going to paint all of the cabinets in the front of the boat. Yeah, easy stuff. As soon as I got started I realized it was going to take a lot longer than expected, so I had to force myself to pare down. I had to put the “laser beam” on what I could accomplish, which cabinets were the most important and out of the way of the upcoming projects like plumbing and rigging.

It wasn’t easy to do. I kind of felt defeated to not finish my original goal, but it really brought to light how intertwined and complex boat projects can be. I realize now why Tate didn’t want to start any of the other projects until after the rigging because the parts are now in the mail and should be here next week. Other projects would have just been overwhelming and taken away from the major piece. They also probably would have gotten covered in bilgekote.

I think Tate calls this “Project Runaway”. It’s a good term. Too many projects at once and nothing gets done. I know it happens a lot with boats, houses, cars. People have big dreams, get ambitious, start too many things and end up not finishing any of them. Instead they get overwhelmed and continue their life going to work, eating and sleeping among a pile of parts and unfinished business, collecting dust.

Must keep the laser beam in focus. One more paint coat on the slats for the cabinets then we’ll shift gears towards the rigging. I know all of you are salivating for the first glimpse of our Stainless Steel Bowsprit. Stay tuned.