The weekend started out pretty well with Beau coming over to give me a hand with the heavy lifting of the new bowsprit.  I was going to dry fit it to the bow pulpit and measure everything out for real.  I knew I had at least one problem working , so I made sure I had the angle grinder with me.  Actually I usually have my angle grinder near by.  That and the sawzall.

The bow pulpit makes a nice pseudo saw horse.

As I had fore seen the eye band was butted up against the front foot of the pulpit.  This is a result of the holes for the pulpit being moved forward about an inch to accommodate some of the welding that was required to fabricate the bowsprit.  Unfortunately I didn’t have the good sense to add an inch to the front of the whole assembly when we decided to move up the holes.

So instead I used the angle grinder to cut a notch out of the front foot.

And she slipped right into place.

Unfortunately, the wood from the platform is too close to the “wings” on the eye band and I’ll have to cut some of that away too but I want to wait until I have the thing mounted on the boat to check the angles and know exactly how much of the wood needs to be removed.  So to check that all important angle I need to mount the whole thing on the boat.  And we all know what that means… Sawzalls on Christmas Eve!

I don’t know that I’ve ever loved a tool more than that beastly little saw.  Oh how it thrills me to cut the heads off bolts that have been corroding in place for 30 years rather than try to get the nuts off. But enough of that…

Previously, the bowsprit achieved the correct angle via the pad of remaining teak on the foredeck that had blocks of wood at differing thicknesses to get the angle right.  The new sprit has a pad welded on that gives it the correct angle.  This means all that teak up on the deck can come up and we can ditch the pads.  You can see the three pads along the center line.  The bolts to either side of them are the old bolts that held the windlass on.  We no longer need those either.

Taking teak up off the deck is a lot harder than it looks. Sometimes a wooden bung won’t come out right and you’ll ruin a screw head that holds the boards down.  In some places the teak is glued down hard.   It took about three hours to get that little patch of teak up off the deck and even then it came up in bits and pieces.

But finally, after a lot of scrubbing, we found the gelcoat beneath still in pretty good shape, all things considered.

The next step will be to cut those sampson posts off flush, grind them down, then glass them and all the holes currently in the deck.  We’ll also replace the front stemfitting chainplate.  After that we’ll be really close to doing a preliminary mounting of the sprit on the boat itself.

Oh and Merry Christmas.