Today was a big day for us Sundowners. We finally got around to making progress on the boomkin itself.

The boomkin itself is made of heavy grade pipe. There are two “ears” which are hull pads with a smaller diameter pipe bolted on that the boomkin slides onto. The boomkin being the female end and the pads having the male side. The first step of the install involves getting everything lined up and affixing these pads to the hull. After that is done you can slide the boomkin on and start attaching the rigging. Today we almost got the point of permanently affixing these pads onto the hull. Here is a short video of the process.



In the video I say that I attach a line to the main sheet hoop but that was wrong, in the end we connected the line to the very back of the boomkin. To hold the “ears” on the pipes we tied them together with small stuff. You can see our arrangement here:
Boomkin pulley system

This ended up working out very well as we could pull on any of the three lines to adjust the alignment of the boomkin against the hull. We spent a lot of time making fine adjustments and looking at the boat from far away to see if the incline of the boomkin matched the sheer line of the hull. I’ve seen another photo of a W32 with this boomkin install that didn’t match the sheer line (was too low) and it messed up the aesthetic of the boat.

fitting the boomkin

You can see that the level sort of lived on the back part of the boomkin making sure we were getting it straight. In the end it came out almost dead level. I’m not sure how much that will matter once we start to tighten everything down and put it under load. I think there is at least a little wiggle room in there.

You can also see that we put some tape on the hull near where the pads were bumping. They were scuffing the boat pretty bad so we did that just to protect the paint and removed the masking tape after we were finished up.

All in all, I have to say it is looking pretty good.
Boomkin from underneath

Its just the most nerve wracking thing though. Drilling those holes. Logically I know I can fill them in if I did something wrong, but a sense of dread descends upon me when I start to drill into the hull. It is done though. And I was almost to the point of caulking and permanently affixing those pads to the hull but tonight the temperature drops below the cure point of the caulk we’re going to use so I decided to wait. Tomorrow doesn’t look much better, but perhaps if we caulk during the day time it will have a longer time to set up and form a good water tight seal.

We’re getting close!