Silence on the blog usually indicates one of a few things. One: We have fallen off the face of the the flat earth. Two: We have fallen on our faces at work and on the boat. Three: We are still sleeping in from two Sundays ago.

If you guessed Three you now know what I wish we were doing, but really it’s some combination of One and Two. Let’s get right to it!

Caprail bungs

Finally the teak caprails had dried enough in the sun for me to put in the teak bungs. A few months ago I had ordered super duper cheap 3/8″ teak bungs (not tapered) from a guy off of Ebay which ended up being the perfect size for the majority of our caprail holes. Many of the holes however were rotted out kinda, making the actual holes not perfectly round, and more like a crumbling oval. To combat this issue I dipped the bungs in a 405 filleting & 404 high density filler epoxy mixture. The goal was to fill up the holes that were too big with the epoxy mixture.

After work one day I headed to the boat with the hope of getting all of the bungs in before the sun went down (1 1/2 hours later). Two super hot batches of wasted epoxy later I had the method down pretty well. I mixed very small batches of the epoxy and then braved the crazy ass blowing wind (the forecast was misleading) to hammer in these bungs one by one having now only my headlamp for light since the sun had gone down. The result was kind of messy, but…BUT it actually turned out very good after I sanded it.
Teak bungs in caprails
Teak bungs in caprail close up

I cut off the tops of the bungs with a razor then took a power sander at about 120 to take the bung and epoxy “puddles” down to the caprail. I did the finish work by hand with 220 sand paper to try and keep from sanding too much of the good teak down with the power tool. I LOVE the result and am very happy to be past this part now, it kind of looks like a leopard. (BTW no leaks at all so far from this area)
Teak bungs sanded
Teak bungs completed

Awesome Canvas

I’ve been super busy bugging my mom to help me with these new canvas additions. The companionway hatch that I recaulked in the Spring still allows some water through the teak that wets the plywood underneath. Since we don’t plan to varnish (you cannot if you use Teak Decking Systems caulk) we thought it best to protect the teak and keep things dry by making a hatch cover.

My mom with The Basic Bag was a HUGE help from start to finish. She taught me how to make a pattern and then how to mark, cut and sew the canvas from that. While I am NO where near as good as she is, I’m slowly learning.

Pattern rigmarole
Canvas pattern for companionway

Marking the canvas to cut
Dani marking the Canvas

The many pieces that somehow end up in as a beautiful masterpiece
Hatch cover in pieces

Tada! The lip on the top of this hatch that is used for opening and closing made this hatch so ridiculously more complicated but it turned out really really well. Just look at the detail, those lines.
Companionway hatch front
Companionway hatch back

We also remade the front hatch cover using the old one as a pattern. Likewise it came out great. I even sewed a little shock cord on the corners to keep it from flying off of the front.
Forward hatch canvas
Front hatch cover with shockcord

The new canvas is a really nice touch to the boat, it looks, somewhat new. I love it.
New canvas on the boat

Double Bubble Insulation

We (Tate) finally got around to putting back up the starboard teak slats that we removed back in the spring to get to the chainplates and fix a few leaks. I painted the hull side and also cleaned, sanded, and reoiled the wood. They ended up more beautiful than before!
Replaced the teak slats

After the teak slats we reinstalled the formica headliner piece thingy that goes under the side deck there, but this time we went back with two layers of “Double Bubble” insulation. I’ve heard using this stuff in your boat in the overhead areas make it feel like you are sitting under a shade tree. I also plan to use this in the Vberth and head.

I cut it to shape and Tate simply screwed it in place. I had given thought to gluing it into place but didn’t want to go all permanent at this point. I’d like to be able to easily take it down if I want to inspect for mold. I painted the underdeck with Bilgekote anyways so hopefully nothing will grow right there. It was very easy to work with and a nice reprieve from the other not so easy projects.
Cutting insulation
Installing insulation

Harvest Moon Regatta practice

We continue to go racing every Wednesday night aboard Quest and as of late have been learning some mad skillz. We are EXCITEDLY gearing up to participate in the race next week and apparently the “infamous” party that follows at the yacht club in Port Aransas Texas.

Some of the best advice we ever listened to was to get involved with racing. I can’t believe how much more I know about actually sailing now, 18 months into it. Tate and I are both really going to miss this scene when we leave.
Sailboats on the shore
Sunset while racing

We have been busily trying to wrap up loose end projects so we can haul the boat out and start on the major stuff here in a few weeks. Boat haul out and boomkin replacement should begin in early November. I’ll try to keep us away from the edge the earth until then.