This is our venerable Groco raw water strainer.  Its still in remarkably good shape.  A couple of weeks ago Dani ordered a full set of parts to refurbish the old gal and she is looking good.  We also added the 3/4″ fitting and adapter you see to the left.

Photobucket
To install this thing I first needed a vertical board that I could hang it on.  My plan was to use a piece of wood seated on the port side bottom shelf which would be held up and down by one of the new brackets.  I installed the two brackets I’d use on the board itself first. 
Photobucket
Photobucket

After measuring and marking a hole I went ahead and drilled through the top shelf to which the top bracket would join.
Photobucket

Here I have the bolt through the shelf bedded and tightened with a washer and nyloc nut on the backside.
Photobucket

I screwed in another bracket on the side to hold the board in vertical alignment.
Photobucket

With the board in place I went ahead and installed the shiny new top mount for the raw water strainer.  Its sort of silly to get excited over shiny parts when your whole boat is old and rusty, but boy that fresh bronze just makes me smile.
Photobucket

And I added the bottom mount.
Photobucket

Secured!
Photobucket

I hadn’t tightened down the new fittings yet so after getting it in place and mounted I put some thread sealant on and used my pipe wrench to snug everything tight.
Photobucket

Next I installed the hose from the seacock to the strainer.  This is some more monstrous wet exhaust hose that is hard to work with.
Photobucket

And finally we added the 3/4″ hose from the back of the strainer to the motor itself.
Photobucket

Ah, the finished product!
Photobucket

Another thing scratched off the list.  Tomorrow we’ll start working on mounting the fuel filters and fuel selector valves.

As a side note.  Its hot!