Today we decided to tackle the last major obstacle that we had to before going on the hard.  What do we have to do before being “ready” for the yard.  A) Have the engine ready to remove.  B) Have the bilge cleared out. Item A is very near done with only a few bolts left holding the motor in the boat.  Item B though was a little more difficult.  You see the bilge on our boat was cram packed with water tanks.  

I need to get these 40 gallon monsters out of the bilge before we get lifted on Monday.  So I went about the usual.  I lifted the floor boards (seen above) which exposed the tanks.  I used the heat gun, and consequently burned the hell out of myself to pull the hoses off the fittings to the tanks. I also removed the bolts that held the stainless steel tie downs together.  Now time to just lift the tank right?  Wrong.

Tanks were full of water.  Like really full.  Brimming!   So I had to get the water out.  I should have used the pump system before taking apart the electrics to just run the sink until it ran out but once again, I was stupid.  So I had to do >something<.  I scavenged the hated pump from the refrigeration system.  I stripped its heavily corroded wires.

Then I did something many people would cringe at, an probably should.  I connected the pump directly to one of the batteries with battery cables.  Eeek!

I ran the output through a port light with Dani’s help.  Overboard with a bunch of fresh water!

With the tank emptied we could lift it out of the boat.  It took the pump a long time to clear out the entire tank.  We worked the tank out and lifted it onto the dock.  Underneath is a cess pool of bilge water that we haven’t been able to properly pump out since our manual bilge pump pick up is too high.  Also pumping this diesel infested water out isn’t exactly environmentally friendly.  We decided to wait and let the yard dispose of it properly.

One tank down.  One to go.

Here I have removed the second tank’s tie downs.

And out she went!


Gross bilge.  Will be remedied soon.

After getting these tanks out of the boat, blood diamond came by.  He stopped in and we gave him some beers and tequila.  He showed me around the yard and we sat down and had a long talk.  He said he’d buy our tanks from us for a small fee.  We’re happy to sell them.  Dani kept working during this time cleaning out the boat’s lockers.  She worked for at least a few hours on that.  By the end of the day we had the pick up loaded down.

Here is our growing pile of “boat stuff”.


As a side note, I think today is the nastiest I’ve been since I started working on the boat.  Whatever is in that bilge water is foul.  It will be nice to see the bilge clear and shiny.  Hopefully we can keep it that way, or if not, at least we can make sure the only thing down there is water.