So we slipped a day in between days 19 and 20 but it wasn’t enough to call it a day.  I’ve been ill.  I thought I caught something at one of the birthday parties we went to.  Boy was I down and out all last week with a stomach ache.  But alas, I feel better.  Not dead yet.

So yesterday we went and bout some fittings to start to make up the fuel tank vent system.  Here is the start of it. 

This little guy up here is the actual thru-hull that I screwed a brass nipple into. 

Here is the result, the start of the tank vent sytem. 

Today was the day I wanted to get the starboard tank into the boat on.  So first thing is first.  We’ll just dump it down into the engine room and stick it in right!

Hmmm…. This doesn’t look too good.

Ruttt row….

Of course it wouldn’t just fit in on the first try.  God forbid.  You see I was actually very worried about this starboard tank since the boat has a custom box built into the engine room on the starboard side for the SSB.  Its totally fiberglassed in.  I was having dreams last night of taking the saw to it.  Right at this point they were getting closer and closer to reality.

But first lets just take EVERYTHING out of that side and try again.  Just to be sure.  First out comes a bilge pump that was mounted way up out of sight.

Hmm…. Maybe….

YES!  And now I can put the tank shelf back in.

To make this happen I also had to remove the starboard cockpit drain and fittings which we didn’t photograph.  But man it felt good to get that tank in.  It was sort of like a jigsaw puzzle to fit it in there.  We weren’t even sure it’d make it with the SSB box.

So then began the process of putting the fuel hose onto the tank fill.   You know the hose that connect the tank to the part where you “fill it up”.   Well of course nothing is ever easy so this fitting decided to fall apart during this process.

So a new project is born.  Replacing the fuel fill deck fitting!  The screws at deck fill on this side of the boat were very old.  One of the screws snapped in half and the others literally just pulled out of the soft wood.  Teak doesn’t rot so I can only guess this teak was destroyed by electrolysis or some other sort of reaction between the metal and the wood.

At first I started to clean up the fitting to reuse it.

However we soon noticed that it was actually a different size than the hose we have and the port side is a newer stainless steel type.  We opted to go ahead and replace the old beast which is probably original.

We went to West Marine AGAIN.  We’ve been in there like every day.  And we wear the same ratty old clothes every time since we wash and use them every day as not to ruin tons of clothing.  They must think we’re nuts or slum bums or something.  But oh well.

We came home to take a break and eat lunch and while at home I tried to fit some new teak Dani bought to the bottom of the floor boards.

Unfortunately, I split the teak.  Note to self, use the correct size bit for the pilot hole next time.  (The right bit was on the boat and I was just trying to make it happen.)

And so we decided having seen the effects of not using the correct tools for the job to go to Lowes and pick up the “right” tool to secure the new fuel tank board into place.  Behold a 90 degree fitting for a drill.

I used this in the tight spaces to drill up through the old board into the new.  And finally to put the screws in.  I couldn’t use it to get the screws all the way in but I could use it to get them far enough that I could fit a normal sized screw driver in to finish the job.

Six screws later and the board isn’t going anywhere.

Finally back to the pesky deck fill.  I had to repair the wood before we could ever hope to install a new one.   So I mixed up some West System epoxy with 404 filler in it to a pasty consistency.  I dug out all the soft wood with a small screw driver and then wiped it all down with acetone.  Finally I filled all the holes.


Meanwhile Dani went about doing some house keeping.

While still quite the construction zone it looks a million times better.  And with the added benefit that we can find tools again !

Tomorrow’s agenda includes finishing the starboard tank install and getting as far as we can on the port side.  Lets hope it isn’t blazing hot.

Peace!