Oh how easy it is to get distracted during boat work. The boat is like one big living and breathing puzzle with no clear start and stop point. So many projects overlap that it’s actually quite a chore to keep on track. This past Friday was a good example as I went to the boat with the intention of putting the interior back together again but ended up caulking the caprail seam.

Well…you know…we had just had a big rain and I was doing my normal rain check around the boat for leaks when I noticed the mast bolts coming through the headliner in the head were wet. Oh dear, that’s not good. We had suspected for some time they were leaking but now we had confirmation, but that exciting tale is for another day. So the first distraction ended with me removing the headliner in the head which then led to me finally recaulking a portion of the caprail I knew to leak.

But before the caulk came destruction with me contorting in painfully crazy positions leaning over the caprail to scrape the old caulk and dirt out from the caprail seam. The old caulk was BARELY adhered and pulled right out in big pieces. No doubt had we buried the rail we would have seen sea water coming in from all areas.
Caprail caulk pieces

I also used the heat gun to peel off any varnish close to where the new seam was going to go and sanded, vacuumed then cleaned the seam with an acetone rag and screwdriver.
Cleaning the teak with heat gun

We waited a day to allow the area to really dry then raced to the boat in a fit this evening when rain popped up on the rader. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Damn it, must caulk quickly.
Caprail cleaned with acetone

Then we taped the area for easy caulk cleanup. Now, this part was a little contentious. Oh yes, tempers FLAIR when discussing taping techniques. Tate is of the “tape on bottom only” camp while I’m of the “100% tape top and bottom” camp. To his credit when removing the top piece of tape it sort of messed the seam up, but using a toole we were able to fix it.
Caprail taped

Thank goodness Tate is so good with the caulk gun because he makes this look difficult so I don’t want to imagine the damage I would do as the gunner. He had to assume my previous uncomfortable stance only this time with the dreaded messy caulk (3M 4000 in this situation).
Tate caulking the caprail seam

We removed the tape rather quickly and I think the seam turned out really good. It’s a hell of lot…perhaps 100 times better than what was there before. I was worried about using white caulk instead of teak colored or black since it would stand out more against the blue paint, but decided the white on blue look wasn’t that bad and is easy to keep up with.
Caulking the caprail seam forward
Caprail caulked aft

While we had the caulk out we prepped and caulking the forward hatch we knew to leak as well.
Forward hatch caulked

I’ll keep chipping away at the remaining caprail seams and other distractions that come my way. In the meantime we keep biding our time, saving our money and looking forward to bluer, hell any water that isn’t a shade of brown water. Checkmate, Tate!
Dani playing chess

(jk, he almost always beats me but I put up a good fight!)